Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Oh my gosh, I haven’t participated in Top Ten Tuesday in AGES and I feel terrible about it. But I’m here now, and that’s what matters, right? *pats self on shoulder*
This week’s T10T prompt is a dad freebie in honor of Father’s Day, so I decided to do a mix of the best and worst dads I’ve come across in books. Here’s my list, in no particular order:
- Arthur Weasley from Harry Potter. Honestly, the whole Weasley family was pretty great (aside from Percy’s misguidance and Ron’s brat factor), and I attribute that to Arthur and Molly’s supportive and loving parenting. Plus, his obsession with muggle technology was the funniest thing ever.
- Starr’s dad from The Hate U Give. I loved how he talked to Starr about everything from politics and race to love and food, so she could learn about the world around her and grow into a knowledgable, caring person. I’m gonna cry just thinking about it!
- Simon’s dad from Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. While Simon’s dad told plenty of cringeworthy dad jokes, he was always there for Simon no matter what and made sure that Simon knew it.
- Kate’s dad from The Illuminae Files. This guy seriously never stopped fighting to do what was right and to help his daughter, even when neither of them were sure the other was alive.
- Linh Garan from The Lunar Chronicles. While we never met the dude, we do learn how much he did for Cinder, even though the two weren’t actually related. Stepdads for the win!
- Scarlett and Tessa’s dad from Caraval. I definitely despised this dude right away, because we find out he is abusive and controlling, and does not get any better as the story goes on.
- Vassa’s dad from Vassa in the Night. He literally gave up not only being a dad, but also a human being so he could become a dog because life was hard. WTF? I still get nauseated just thinking about him.
- Whelagig Pinkerton from Heartless. If this guy hadn’t been such a wanker, and actually listened to and supported his daughter Catherine, she probably wouldn’t have turned into the Queen of Hearts and became obsessed with chopping off heads. Just saying.
- Feyre’s dad from A Court of Thorns and Roses. If you’ve read ACOWAR, you know why I was a tad hesitant to put him on the worst list. But when it comes down to it, the guy basically let his daughters starve and Feyre get taken by a monster-Fae before he actually decided to do anything useful.
- Jack Torrance from The Shining. I don’t know if we’re supposed to throw this guy a bone because he had an evil hotel influencing his actions, but admit it: he sucked even before that happened.
Who would you add to this best and worst list?